Planning & Production Board
Improving punctuality, safety and value for money today, whilst planning for and securing the railway’s future.
The role of the Planning & Production Board is:
- to ensure that priority issues associated with industry alignment and third party investment are being acted on by relevant groups;
- to deliver on national performance, to ensure activities are fit for purpose and effectively support the aim of achieving the best possible performance trajectories at any given time;
- to create a single cross-industry space where funded major programmes are brought together to help ensure delivery, including Digital Railway and other activities of national relevance relating to the franchising programme, delivery of new trains, depots and stabling facilities and significant infrastructure upgrades.
- to ensure that the architecture in place is effective and adding value in the development of strategic plans on staff numbers, roles and skills, including work to build a national plan for addressing a range of productivity and diversity issues within the industry’s train driver management activities.
At a time of unprecedented demand for the railway, performance is critical. The rail industry is driving through major improvements to help meet passenger expectations around punctuality, safety and value for money.
Key areas of work include:
- Performance: use of new performance metrics and an industry performance plan.
- People: Driver Academy programme.
- Security: strategic plan for policing Britain’s railways.
- Safety: leading health and safety on Britain’s railways strategy.
To play the role demanded of it in supporting economic growth, the railway needs to be able to deliver capacity in the areas of the country where it is needed; enhanced connectivity between areas; and high levels of performance and safety. Through transformational use of our people, technology and operations RDG leads the industry’s strategic planning for the railway’s future.
Key areas of work include:
- Strategic planning: Initial Industry Advice, rolling stock demand projections and depot stabling capability.
- Technology and innovation: Rail Technical Strategy Capability Delivery Plan and roll out of the Digital Railway.
- People: transform rail to become an employer of choice with a sustainable future.
Planning & Production Board groups
- Digital Railway Steering Group
- Engineering Council
- Industry Health & Safety Meeting
- National Task Force
- Operations Council
- Rail HR Directors Group
- RDG Policing & Security Group
- RDG Station Strategy Group
- Rolling Stock Strategy Steering Group (RSSSG)
- Technical Leadership Group
- Rail Cyber Committee
The other Strategic Boards
This section is reserved for members of the above Groups only. Click on the button, then enter your username and password to access the Members Area.