Planning Oversight Group
Chair: Paul McMahon (Network Rail)
RDG Lead: Silke Elvery
Planning Oversight Group (POG) contributes to the long-term, continuous planning narrative between industry and governments, devolved authorities, funders, and specifiers by providing input to the industry's long-term plan and planning options to meet the needs of our customers.
This purpose of Planning Oversight Group (POG) is to:
- Provide a balanced and industry view on strategic long-term planning. It facilitates and governs the industry input to the Whole Industry Strategic Plan (WISP) through a Task and Finish Group (subgroup consistent of some POG Members). The inputs will be designed to meet our customers’ needs, with the view to inform funders, governments and devolved authorities.
- Support the System Operator’s Strategic Planning framework by facilitating network-wide and regional strategic planning issues.
- Share industry best practice and developments on issues relating to long-term planning e.g. technology, sustainability and cost effectiveness.
- Update on long-term strategic progress from Funders and Specifiers.
- Identify any blockers and impediments to working collaboratively and suggest possible solutions.
POG is the leading group in the industry long-term planning process over other RDG groups concerned with long-term planning. In case of conflict of opinions between RDG groups, RDG’s Planning & Production Board will mediate.
- Mandate: holds a mandate for long term planning industry input to meet our customers’ needs, bestowed through the industry organisations POG members represent. These are Passenger Service Operator Owning Groups, Freight Operators, Network Rail System Operator, Rail Supply chain, RSSB and RDG.
- Long-term planning options: The industry, through POG, will provide input to an industry long-term plan and planning options to meet the needs of its customer, including around the future size and shape of the rail network and put this view forward to funders, governments and devolved authorities. Long-term is defined as 30 years plus.
- Through its evidenced-based and objective long-term plan and associated options, POG will give a balanced view of the related benefits and drawbacks to funders, government and devolved authorities.
- Influencing decision makers: POG will work to influence other long-term planning bodies, such as the National Infrastructure Commission.
The outcomes expected to be achieved through this group are:
- Coordinated industry input to the WISP to inform and influence funders and specifiers;
- Effective oversight of the Long-Term Planning Process work at Network Rail, providing industry constructive challenge;
- Decision makers are informed regarding strategic planning issues and developments, for example on the Integrated Rail Plan and HS2;
- Guidance provided to subgroups to help ensure consistency between medium term objectives and the longer-term vision for the industry.
Sub-groups charted to Planning Oversight Group
- WISP Task and Finish Group
- Rolling Stock and Depots Strategy Group
- Electric Current for Traction Scheme Council
- Technical Leadership Group
- Future Command Control & Signalling Guiding Body