'Britain Runs on Rail'
Rail is vital to the fabric of national life: everything that Britain runs on, runs on rail.
On 14 September 2016, rail companies, working through the Rail Delivery Group, launched Britain Runs on Rail. This programme tells the story of today’s railway, highlighting rail’s ever more crucial role in enabling housing, jobs and economic growth.
The second phase launched on 20 March 2017, with adverts in stations, on television, in newspapers and on social media. This time, there was also a TV advert, that also played in cinemas. See the TV ad and our posters.
It also focuses on why we need to keep investing to achieve a bigger and better railway:
- Every day, more than 4.5 million journeys are taken by people to work, study or visit friends and family.
- Over the last 25 years, rail use has grown more than any other type of transport in the UK.
- Passenger journeys are expected to double again over the next 25 years.
- Government investment has combined with commercial drive to create the safest and fastest growing railway in Europe.
But large parts of our railway are full because of decades of under-investment and a big increase in services to respond to a doubling of passengers. That’s why we are investing billions, innovating and working closer together to enhance the experience of our customers – improving reliability, increasing capacity and modernising retailing and information.
Britain Runs on Rail showcases to a wide audience the modernisation of Britain’s railway and its vital contribution to national life.
- 13 October 2016 - Response to questions about the Britain Runs On Rail campaign
- 14 September 2016 - M&C Saatchi and Rail Delivery Group launch new campaign (RDG press release)
- 14 September 2016 - Paul Plummer explains why Britain runs on rail (RailStaff magazine article, detailing the campaign messages)
- 10 August 2016 - Britain Runs on Rail (RailStaff magazine article, explaining the forthcoming campaign)