Rail Staff Travel
Updated - 23 March 2020
Reduced RSTL service during the 2020 Coronavirus emergency
Following the Government announcement of 16 March and the request to minimise travel, we are operating a limited service. Our office building is closed and the team is working remotely. We are sorry for this reduction in service, but we are doing as much as we can given the difficult circumstances.
We are unable to answer phone enquiries until our office reopens. You can send items to us at our PO Box address but we cannot respond to them until we return to the office.
We also cannot issue FIP International Reduced Rate Cards and FIP Coupons until we return to the office.
As the situation develops, this website will be updated with the latest information.
Other specific information relating to this situation can be found on our News page.
17 March 2020
RST Contact Centre
We are unable to provide a phone service until further notice. We are also closed and will not be responding to e-mail queries on the following dates:
- Friday 10 April - Good Friday
- Monday 13 April - Easter Monday
- Friday 8 May - VE Day Bank Holiday
2 April 2020
Rail Staff Travel
Rail Staff Travel (RST) provides rail staff travel facilities for eligible Active and Retired Employees of the rail industry and eligible family members. RST is part of the Rail Delivery Group.
Eligible employees fall into one of two categories for Rail Staff Travel:
- If you have had continuous employment since at least 31 March 1996 with an eligible Employer (including those who retired or were made redundant) then you are a safeguarded employee.
- If you started employment on or after 1 April 1996 with an eligible Employer (such as a Train Operating Company), then you are a non-safeguarded employee.
You will need to know which category applies to you when looking at some of the documentation on this site.
Information for new TOC employees
If you are a new TOC employee (i.e. non-safeguarded) you may find this short Introduction to Rail Staff Travel for new employees of Train Operating Companies document useful.
24 January 2020
Latest and Recent News
All of our latest and recent News items can be found on our News page. The current items relate to:
- Unnecessary travel during the Covid-19 emergency
- Temporary changes to refunds of priv rate and reduced rate season tickets
- Temporary suspension of the child dependant earnings limit
- Staff Travel Card renewal for 2020/21
- Map updates
- Cancelled travel plans due to the Coronavirus outbreak - updated 17 March 2020
- FIP coupons and the International Reduced Rate Card after Brexit
- Status Pass SmartCard update
- FIP adjacent carriers rule
- Staff Travel Restrictions for Winter 2019-20
- Buying FIP discounted tickets and reservations for SNCF services
- Changes to the availability of upgrades to discounted tickets on Eurostar services
23 March 2020
Our Key Pages
All of our pages can be reached by using the navigation links on the right. However, you may be interested in the following key pages:
- Forms - for new family applications and declarations, additional and international travel applications as well as your notifications to us of changes
- Useful Information - for current earnings and mileage limits as well as fees that RST use
- Eligibility of Family Members - for guidance on eligibility of family members
- Where can I go - for details about where you can use your travel facilities and restrictions
- Photo Upload - for you to upload passport style photos of yourself and eligible family members
- Conditions of Issue and Use - for guidance on the use of your staff travel facilities
- FAQs - many of your Frequently Asked Questions about Rail Staff Travel
If you have a problem using travel facilities on TOC services, you should raise the issue with the TOC concerned. Details of how to contact each TOC can be found on their websites.
If your complaint remains unresolved, then you should raise your complaint with the Rail Ombudsman. Details are on their website www.railombudsman.org or you can call them on 0330 094 0362 between 08-00-22:00 Monday to Friday (excl. Bank Holidays) and 08:00-13:00 on Saturdays and Bank Holidays (except Christmas Day).
If you have problems in the following areas, please contact Rail Staff Travel
- Using your Rail Staff Travel facilities on non-TOC services, such as Leisure Railways
- The service provided to you by Rail Staff Travel
- Using FIP Rail Staff Travel facilities in Europe
RST Contact Details
Unless you are contacting us about a bereavement, we can only speak to or respond to queries from the prime cardholder, who will be the current member of staff, the retired member of staff, or a widow(er), or someone holding Power of Attorney for them.
|From the UK, call us on:||020 7841 8274
Phone lines are open from 9am to 4.30pm each weekday (excl Bank Holidays)
|Write to us at:||Rail Staff Travel, PO Box 72071, London EC1P 1JD|
|From outside the UK, call us on:||+44 20 7841 8274|
|Unfortunately, we cannot offer a "face-to-face" service for personal callers.
However, in the case of genuine emergency (e.g. travelling to a close family member's funeral), we will do our best to help. Owing to building security requirements, you will need to phone in advance rather than just arriving at our offices without notice.
This section is reserved for employers only. Click on the button, then enter your username and password to access RST information for employers.